Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mama, what's all that white stuff?


Apparently old man winter decided that by golly he was going to prove that yes, he is still around.

Last night about an hour or two before we decided to call it a night, we started hearing the freezing rain hitting the roof.

Then came the thunder snows.

Growing up, my Mama always told me that if it was thundering when you were receiving snow, then hold on to your hats, folks, you were getting at least a foot of snow.

When I got up this morning, there was a nice thick layer of snow on the ground, and while it was snowing, it wasn't very hard.

I grabbed my camera and took some shots, figuring that it was likely the end of the snowfall for the day.

Oh boy was I wrong about that!

We've gotten a few more inches of snow since then, and currently if I look out my front window I can just barely see the house across the street.  Supposedly it's going to start tapering off here in the next couple of hours, but I'm not going to hold my breath until I see it dissipating. After all, I think that's for the city. Weather underground indicates that my town will be receiving snow until 4 or so.

We'll see how it turns out.

(Yes, I'm skeptical when it comes to weather predictions, why do you ask?)

Sam decided to stay home and work out of the back office today, which was wise in my opinion. It's always a bit weird when Sam decides to work from home--it goes back to that whole quantity time thing.

That, and it's 9 degrees Fahrenheit outside and feels like -15. While my heater is doing an alright job, it's still bloody cold inside, and all I want to do is snuggle up with my Sammy.

My Papa always had this pearl of wisdom in regards to cold: "People say cold is better than hot, because you can always put on more clothes than you can take off. Thing is, unlike heat, cold hurts."

Just ask my hips and my knuckles.

The kitty cats have been fascinated with all of that white stuff falling out of the sky, even though I know for a fact that all three of them have been through snowstorms before. Then again, Nala and Techie are originally from Dallas, so perhaps it's a bit more novel for them.

Doesn't explain Tiger though--she was born in this part of the country, and lived up north for several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment